Who is loving this weather? I am! It has been sunny and in the 70s here in Wilmington. I hope you are having wonderful weather as well!
I am getting spring fever. I am ready for the beach, shorts, bike rides and just spending hours outside. I came across The Vanilla Bean Blog over the weekend and this inspired me to make a simple, portable, spring dish. This dish can be served warm right off the stove, or cold and taken on a picnic.
The hubs and I are heading to Alabama for the weekend to house hunt and attend a wedding shower. This week I am trying to use the food we have remaining in the house without purchasing more groceries.
This recipe calls for quite a few ingredients. I tweaked the recipe and used quite a few “kitchen friendly” ingredients that were on hand. Frozen peas and celery were the only items I had to purchase.
- Celery- $1.29 from TJ’s for two stalks.
- Frozen peas- less than $2 from any grocery store.
- My total was less than $4!
You can’t beat that deal. I also had frozen chicken in the freezer that I thawed before placing in the crock pot. Remember this slow cooker chicken recipe? Amazing tossed with this salad. The almonds were leftover from my granola recipe and the quinoa from my BBQ bowls.
QUINOA & ALMOND SALAD
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 stalks celery (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup almonds (roughly chopped)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Roughly chop almonds and spread on foil lined baking sheet. Toast for 5 minutes or until slightly golden in color.
- Combine and mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Toss balsamic vinegar in salad and adjust to desired taste.
I saved so much money making this dish. You can double the recipe for lunch the next day! This also allowed me to get rid of quite a few items in my kitchen before we head out of town.
When coming across a recipe that sounds amazing but has a long list of ingredients, see what you have in your kitchen before heading to the store. Majority of the time you will have a similar replacement. Don’t be afraid to experiment and save some cash at the same time!